Subject: Re: specify charset for commits (Was: [PATCH] Fix documentation copy&paste typo)

From: Alexander Litvinov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:05:27 +0600

В сообщении от Thursday 21 December 2006 16:52 Jakub Narebski написал(a):
> > May we can add new header into commit with commit text encoding ?
>
> I think it should be repository-wide decision. And we have
> i18n.commitEncoding configuration variable (perhaps it should be propagated
> on clone?).

I would disagree with you. Is is not hard to imagine international project 
managed by git. We [developers] can start to use utf-8 or similar universal 
encoding but it is not easy sometimes. Fir example, not long ago all russian 
linux machines has LANG set to ru_RU.KOI8-R, now it tend to be ru_RU.UTF-8. 
It will not big surprise to me if developr from China or Japan use something 
very unusual. And just imagine one developer using Windows and Cygwin - ha ha 
ha, try to ask him to change the encoding :-)

The easiest way for git is just to store commit encoding and let tool for 
history browsing deal with encoding. Or as it does now - simply ignore all 
encodings at all and work with bytes not chars. But at this case history 
browsing tool must have some magic knowlage about encoding taken from 
air :-). Or from config file that cover most used encodings.

Alexander Litvinov.