Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] Don't crash during repack of a reflog with pruned commits.

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:56:06 -0500

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If the user has been using reflog for a long time (e.g. since its
> introduction) then it is very likely that an existing branch's
> reflog may still mention commits which have long since been pruned
> out of the repository.
> 
> Rather than aborting with a very useless error message during
> git-repack, pack as many valid commits as we can get from the
> reflog and let the user know that the branch's reflog contains
> already pruned commits.  A future 'git reflog expire' (or whatever
> it finally winds up being called) can then be performed to expunge
> those reflog entries.

If its not obvious from the patch, this doesn't entirely fix the
problem.

Just because the commit has not been pruned does not mean that a blob
or tree referenced by that commit has not been pruned.  Right now
I am missing 1 blob and cannot repack because of it.

At least with this series of 3 patches the error message resulting
from this one missing blob is clearer.

-- 
Shawn.