Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] Don't crash during repack of a reflog with pruned commits.

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:23:44 -0500

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I still think it is a good idea to allow user (experienced user)
> to set to not consider reflog for saving. Especially that there
> exist repositories which have reflogs with long pruned commits,
> and it would be nice to preserve the reflog info, even if some of
> information is not available.

In my humble opinion there is *no* value in a reflog whose commits
are "corrupt" (due to missing commit object or missing tree/blob
it references) as you cannot get that commit back.  And its hard
to get any other data from it.

My local git.git repository got killed during a repack because
I was missing 1 blob (an old version of builtin-blame.c) from
Junio's pu branch.  Apparently I had a reflog on that tracking
branch which went back pretty far and although the commits in that
log were still available, the blob wasn't.

-- 
Shawn.