Subject: Re: confusion over the new branch and merge config

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:40:49 +0100

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> 
> Could you at least keep me in CC when replying to me please?

I have Cc-ed you and Junio, but somehow message I send to mailing
list loses the Cc:. Perhaps it is time to change news client (KMail),
or upgrade it...

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> 
>> <opublikowany i wysłany>
> 
> ?

Sorry, it is added (in my locale) when both sending reply via mail,
and to newsgroup (and to git mailing list via GMane NNTP news2mail
interface).

>> Perhaps less confusing, but also less powerfull. Current notation
>> allows for pulling _without need for tracking branches_.
> 
> Is this really a killer feature worth the confusion?
> 
> If you put the repo to pull from on the command line then sure you might 
> not want a tracking branch, but if you go to the trouble of adding a 
> branch.blah.merge config entry then you certainly don't mind having a 
> tracking branch?

I'm not sure. On one hand you have this feature, pulling without tracking
branch (which is nice workflow for one-branch repos at least), on the
other hand the tracking branch tells us the remote, and we can check if
they match. 

On another hand, you can have two remotes which are the same repository
(mirrors for example)... although that would be better solved by allowing
multiple url...
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland