Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Teach Git how to parse standard power of 2 suffixes.

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:38:09 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Sometimes its necessary to supply a value as a power of two in a
> > configuration parameter.  In this case the user may want to use
> > the standard suffixes such as K, KB, KiB, etc. to indicate that
> > the numerical value should be multiplied by a constant base before
> > being used.
> 
> If you are really going to do this, I think we would need
> something similar to --bool to repo-config command.

That shouldn't be difficult.
 
> Also can we fix the definition of core.packedGitWindowSize to be
> independent of the page size on a particular platform?

What do you mean?  mmap() only works in page units, and because of
the way the code is built the minimum size we can allow is 2 pages.

Asking mmap() to map less than a full page in the last page of
a given window is silly, as that is just going to waste virtual
address space or cause pain for the OS, depending on how that
gets implemented.

-- 
Shawn.