Subject: Re: [PATCH] Detached HEAD (experimental)

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 19:34:33 -0500

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> > In my mind that is a small price to pay for making sure the
> > commit currently in a detached HEAD doesn't get orphaned off
> > into never-never land.
> 
> By the way, would detached HEAD be reflogged, and if it would
> (and certainly it would be nice to have, because protection or
> not sh*t happens) how it would be implemented?

Ohhhhh.  It should reflog if .git/logs/HEAD exists, so long as
changes to HEAD are done via update-ref and not just by echo (as
one of Junio's versions of the feature had done).

Unfortunately .git/logs/HEAD wouldn't be created by default as its
not under refs/heads or refs/remotes.  Though it could be made to be
on by default, in which case it would only log changes while HEAD
is detached.  If HEAD is attached to a branch then .git/logs/HEAD
wouldn't be appended to (or even created), while the branch's own
log is still appended to.

-- 
Shawn.