Subject: Re: Bug-ish: CRLF endings and conflict markers

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 04:50:46 -0500

Andy Parkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The best solution is probably to use the line ending of the conflicted lines.  
> I've had a look, but I can only fine builtin-rerere.c that generates the 
> markers - would that be the place to make this change?

builtin-rerere may need to change but the code that's actually
creating the conflict markers isn't there.  Its somewhere in
xdiff/xmerge.c.  I say somewhere as I haven't dredged down into
that code myself, but I know that's where xdl_merge() is and I
know its xdl_merge() that actually created the content of the
conflict file during the merge.

That said I don't really care about this problem that much.
The problem that I care about is its far too easy to convert the
lineendings in a file (e.g. CRLF->LF, LF->CRLF).  This causes the
entire file to differ, making merges very difficult.  I really
should just fix it (in the one place where it matters to me) by
modifying the pre-commit hook to look for such a case and abort.

-- 
Shawn.