Subject: Re: Importing from tarballs; add, rm, update-index?

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:34:56 -0500

Brian Gernhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yes.  It sounds very much like you want to simply do "git add . ; git  
> commit -a".  But making that the default for "commit -a" would be  
> obnoxious for many other people.

I find it annoying that "commit -a" isn't implemented in terms of
"git add .".  Mainly because I'll make a number of changes in Eclipse
then go back and do "commit -a" and only days later discover that
I have untracked files in my working directory which should have
been added to the commit several days ago.

Although despite the fact that I always have my .gitignore setup 
properly, every once in a while I'll change something to produce
a new file that Git should really ignore, and I'll forget to put
it into .gitignore.  Having some sort of "commit -a" which adds
that new file would be an issue.
 
> A more through version ("git commit --everything"?) that also adds  
> files would be fine, but don't muck up the existing -a, please.

Yes, breaking -a may be a problem.

-- 
Shawn.