Subject: Re: [RFC] Git config file reader in Perl (WIP)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:32:00 +0100

Eric Wong wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Eric Wong wrote:
>>> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> To make gitweb faster I thought about adding to it, or to Git.pm,
>>>> simple nonvalidation config file reader. Nonvalidating means that
>>>> it would accept some input which git-repo-config considers invalid.
>>> 
>>> How about something like git-for-each-ref that dumps the entire output
>>> of a config file into an eval()-able string?  That way we don't have to
>>> deal with corner-cases and subtle differences between C and Perl
>>> implementations.
>> 
>> The idea is (at least for gitweb) to avoid cost of fork. And I think
>> if the format gets documented properly, there should be no differences
>> in config file parsing.
> 
> If the Perl output is redirected to a file (say .git/config.perl) and
> only regenerated when .git/config changes, `do(".git/config.perl")' will
> likely be faster since all the parsing will be done by Perl itself.

Would you write "git repo-config --perl", then? ;-)

Besides, I'd rather avoid the need for /tmp/gitweb, and I think usually
gitweb do not have (and should not have) write access to repository.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland