Subject: Re: [RFC] Git config file reader in Perl (WIP)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:00:47 +0100

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> On 1/15/07, Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Eric Wong wrote:
> 
>>>> Would you write "git repo-config --perl", then? ;-)
> 
>>> The below patch should be a start (only tested on my fairly standard
>>> .git/config).  A --python option should be easy, too :)
> 
>> A bit shorter (and gets the booleans right, plus being even easier
>> towards --python extension):
> 
> If we're going down this slippery slope, why not just give up and add
> a --xml switch instead?  Readable by all and a lot more flexible than
> --perl, --python, --ruby, --tcl, --sh, --c++, --fortran, --lisp,
> --html, --that-next-silver-bullet-language [...].
> 
> That said, parsing the config file as-is can't be so difficult that we
> need to export it to separate files with a different syntax, now can
> it?

Parsing the config file is not _that_ difficult (the first post in this 
thread had config reader in Perl), but it is not that easy: case 
(in)setiviness, quoting, escaping, comments, removing leading and 
trailing whitespace when not quoted...

P.S. I'd rather have an additional implementation (in Perl) conforming 
to yet to be written git ini-like config file specs, to find places 
where canonic parser, git-repo-config, doesn't conform to the specs.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland