Subject: Re: [RFC] Git config file reader in Perl (WIP)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:37:31 +0100

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> But I agree that XML is serious overkill...
> 
> I don't know if it was clear from my first mail, but I wasn't
> suggesting --xml as a serious alternative.  My point was that if we're
> going to go through all the fuss of adding all these switches for
> outputting the configuration file in some fixed format, why not go
> with one that at least is universal in some sense (not necessarily
> XML).  And, as Johannes already pointed out, it's very disturbing
> having to dump a configuration file so that it is more easily read by
> other programs.  That would suggest that the ini-based format for
> git's configuration file is suboptimal.

No, ini-based, or rather ini-like format for git configuration
is nice, but I think git is too forgiving in accepting input.
Examples: section header and key/value pair in the same line,
allowing multiple quotes in in value part.

Well, the idea I had was to have --dump switch to git-repo-config
to dump init file as if it was created by git-repo-config invocations,
without any hand editing (canonical format).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland