Subject: Re: [RFC] Git config file reader in Perl (WIP)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:24:10 +0100

Dnia wtorek 16. stycznia 2007 23:56, Johannes Schindelin napisał:
> 
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Jakub Narebski wrote:

>> Well, the idea I had was to have --dump switch to git-repo-config to 
>> dump init file as if it was created by git-repo-config invocations, 
>> without any hand editing (canonical format).
> 
> My point still stands: if you already parse the user-friendly format, why 
> not dump a parse friendly format? If it weren't for those darn non-alnums 
> in the keys, out put of "git repo-config -l" would be perfectly 
> acceptable.
> 
> So, how about a "git repo-config --dump" which outputs a stream of NUL 
> separated keys and values? This should be really easy to "parse", and 
> there are no ambiguities: No key or value can contain a NUL.

Good idea, although "\n" would work as well as NUL.

The only problem is with "key without value" case, i.e. something like

  [section]
  	noval

which shows as

  section.noval

in "git repo-config -l" output (note missing '=' !), and I guess differs
for some case from

  [section]
  	noval = 

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland