Subject: Re: [PATCH] prune-packed: new option --min-age=N

From: Matthias Lederhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:42:44 +0100

Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Matthias Lederhofer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > This option allows to remove the unpacked version of an object only if
> > it has been packed for a minimum time.  It is intended to work around
> > the problem of freshly packed objects which should not be deleted
> > because someone might still try to open the unpacked version.
> 
> Are we not rescanning for new packs if we fail to find an
> object in the object directory?  I thought we were doing this in
> read_sha1_file.  *looks at code* Indeed, we are...
> 
> Is this somehow not working?
I just remembered people were warning about automatic prune-packed
(e.g. cron), so this patch does not make much sense anymore.

Any comments about adding such an option to git prune for unpacked
objects?  This would allow to run git prune automatically on
repositories while new objects are created.