Subject: Re: [PATCH] prune: --expire=time

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:53:39 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The way we might want to address this would be when 'clone -s'
> makes a new repository that borrows from an existing repository,
> we could make a symlink under .git/refs/borrowers/ in the
> original repository that points at .git/refs directory of the
> cloned repository -- you can do that by hand today and it would
> be much nicer than having to specify the other repository when
> running 'git prune' as the example suggests.

Unrelated topic: We may also want to consider doing the reverse,
that is symlink '.git/refs/borrows-from' of the cloned repository
to '.git/refs' in the original repository.  This way pushing into
the cloned repository can avoid uploading objects which the cloned
repository already has access to via its objects/info/alternates
setup.

This would especially be nice with project forks, such as on
repo.or.cz.  I don't need to upload all of 'master' if it has
already been uploaded by pasky's mirror job, for example.

-- 
Shawn.