Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Teach git-describe to display distances from tags.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:37:12 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  - This is purely style, but we seem to prefer %d instead of %i
>    elsewhere in the code (three existing offenders are
>    builtin-describe.c, receive-pack.c and sha1_file which we may
>    want to clean up for consistency).

I'll send a cleanup patch then for these locations.
 
>  - How much damage are we talking about with this patch to
>    People's existing scripts?  I expect they all extract the
>    hash from last -g (because they cannot rely on particular
>    convention in tagnames), but I am also worried if people are
>    expecting everything that comes before the last -g is the
>    whole tag.

No way to know for sure.  I almost put this as an option
(e.g. "--include-distance") but didn't want everyone to need to
update their existing git-describe callers to obtain this new data.
I would hope that people split on last -g to get at or remove the
commit SHA-1, but they probably are also assiming te tag name is
everything to the left.  Including the distance would certainly
violate that.

-- 
Shawn.