Subject: Does git-cvsserver expect all changes to be via CVS?

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:37:11 +0000

Hello,

Still messing around with git-cvsserver.  It's behaving very strangely, and it 
occurred to me that I have not appreciated that there might be a limitation 
in it.

Here's what I did.

* CVS user checks out a branch from the repository
* CVS user adds new directory and files
* CVS user checks them in
* git user updates a tracking branch and then working branch to
  match latest
* git user makes changes to same files
* git user checks in and pushes the branch
* CVS user runs cvs update

CVS user can't see the changes; forced updates simply checkout the same files 
he's just checked in.

I deleted the sqlite table from the git repository and ran the CVS update 
again and this time the changed files arrived (but only after a forced 
update).

My question then is: does git-cvsserver require that all changes go via 
itself?  Does it expect you not to use normal git on that repository any 
more?

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE
[email-masked]