Subject: Re: Qt git repository report

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:48:05 -0500

Andy Parkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Key facts:
>  * 13 years worth of changes
>  * 94000 revisions
>  * 736774 objects
>  * Took 3 hours to convert using git-fast-import and a custom script
>  * Repository size: 500MB
>  * Checkd out tree size: 330MB
> 
> I never cease to be amazed by how good git is at its job.

Heh.  :-)

I probably shouldn't mention this until after 1.5.0 is out the door,
but I'm working on a prototype pack version 4 format that thus far
would save at least 5.6 MiB on that pack, and make revision traversal
significantly faster.  (Yes, eat your cake and have it too!)

I'm not done though. I'm sure I can do better.  I've only mucked
with part of what I'm thinking of doing.

Yes, the code stays backward compatible.  Just like OBJ_OFS_DELTA,
pack version 4 is a one-way upgrade, but can be undone by simply
repacking that repository without the option enabled.

-- 
Shawn.