Subject: Re: newbie questions about git design and features (some wrt hg)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:44:13 +0100

Matt Mackall wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 06:18:10PM +0100, Jakub Narebski wrote:

>> Revision-controlled (in-tree) tags are inane idea. Tags are non-moving
>> (and sometimes annotated) pointers to given point in history. They should
>> not depend on which branch you are, or what version you have checked out.
> 
> And.. they don't!

If that means that you always use the version of .hgtags from the tip
(branches are tips of history; they can have different .hgtags),
this is also broken; this means for example that you cannot compare
current version when on development head (branch) with tag on different
branch, those two branches have the same .hgtags file.

"They should not depend on which branch you are"... and they can.

> I'm now officially done correcting your uninformed perceptions. Come
> back when you've actually looked at the docs.

URL, pretty please?

My mistake is caused by the fact that .hgtags is special, i.e. not
current version is used (as e.g. with .scmignore files) but version
closest to the tip. This means broken abstraction.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland