Subject: Re: What's in git.git (stable)

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:58:58 -0500

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:12:34AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> 
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Jeff King wrote:
> > 
> > Just a thought, but it might be useful to blame the contents of an
> > arbitrary file (but starting the history at a given pathname). Something
> > like "git blame --contents /tmp/foo.c file.c", with contents defaulting
> > to "file.c". There's much discussion of editor interfaces, and this
> > leaves the possibility of git-blaming the contents of the editor buffer
> > (after writing it out to a temp file) without having to save changes to
> > the working tree file.
> 
> I agree, that probably would make most sense. If we do this at all. On the 
> other hand, I suspect that most editors would probably want to pipe the 
> contents to the program, not write it to a temp-file.

... and use it with --incremental, as well.  In emacs you can have the
annotation take place as it is being written out relatively easily, by
arranging to have a callback function get called each time more
information is handed back to emacs via a pipe.

						- Ted