Subject: Re: git-fast-import

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:09:24 -0500

Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This is therefore a damn good idea if gfi can make things right out of 
> crap because frontends will not get much attention after the first "hey 
> it works" level.  And the GIT date format, albeit being perfectly 
> unambigous, is not inline with the statement above.

Done.  I just pushed a change to gfi which adds `--date-format=<fmt>`.
For <fmt> you have the choice of:

  raw: Standard Git format.  This is the default, as its what
  the existing frontends by Chris Lee, Simon Hausmann, Jon Smirl,
  and Simon 'corecode' Schubert expect.

  rfc2822: Run whatever crap you give us through parse_date(),
  and cross your fingers.  If parse_date() returns < 0 we bomb
  out, but otherwise take it at its word.

  now: This is a toy, but useful if you really want now, dammit.
  We just call datestamp() and tack that in.  Note that the frontend
  must also supply the literal string `now` in the committer line
  (e.g. "committer A U Thor <[email-masked]> now") to prevent us
  from bombing out.

The last one will probably get more useful when I fix gfi so it can
safely commit against active refs without losing commits (make it
do a strict fast-forward check before updating).  In this case it
may be useful for something like git-cvsserver, as it avoids the
need for a temporary directory, index, etc.
 
-- 
Shawn.