Subject: Re: Git rescue mission

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:50:06 -0500

Bill Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:
> So, I assume I need to tell our developers that once we have installed
> the new git, they will need to set aside their old repos and just
> clone again from our company repo?

Right.  Otherwise they need to do the config changes by hand in their
existing repository, which may be annoying/tedious/painful/difficult,
depending on your knowledge level with git.

You can actually use the old developer repositories with the newer
Git without doing anything specific to upgrade them.  Its just that
1.5.0 sets up the initial config of the repository differently,
and that's exactly the change in functionality you are looking for.

They can save their old topic branches (if they are important)
by doing something like:

	mv proj old_proj
	git clone git://server/proj proj
	cd proj
	git fetch ../old_proj topicA:topicA [topicB:topicB ...]

at which point ../old_proj can be tossed.

-- 
Shawn.