Subject: Re: how to speed up "git log"?

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:00:35 -0500

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 1) Why so much user CPU time?
> 
> See above.

Some of the ideas Nico and I have kicked around for a pack v4 (post
1.5.0, obviously) would speed up revision traversal by bypassing
some of the costly decompression overheads.
 
> > 2) Why so much system CPU time, but only on MacOS X?
> 
> Probably the mmap() problem. Does it go away when you use git 1.5.0-rc4?

What does 1.5.0-rc4 do here that didn't happen before?  Are you
referring to the mmap sliding window?  Because NO_MMAP might be
faster on MacOS X then using mmap (thanks to its slower mmap)... but
I can't say I have performance tested it either way.

-- 
Shawn.