Subject: Re: git-pull and tag objects

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:40:27 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>> 
>>> One of the solutions, used in git.git repository, is to put public key
>>> as a out-of-tree blob using git-hash-object, then tag it using singed tag
>>> with instruction about how to extract key in the tag message (tag comment).
>>
>> No. That's horrible. Yes, it's what Junio did, but if you don't trust the 
>> archive, the _last_ thing you should do is to depend on a blob in the 
>> archive itself to contain the thing to make you trust it more.
> 
> True.  I should have made it clear it was purely a convenient
> way for people to get the public key and verifying that key
> needs to be done on a separate channel.  Otherwise it would have
> confused people (exactly like Jakub was confused).

Gaah, perhaps I wasn't clear: I mentioned this as a method to _transfer_
the actual data for public key (I thought the question was about that).
Not that one should place any trust because tags are signed by in-repo
key...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland