Subject: Re: how to speed up "git log"?

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:28:13 -0500

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > So I ran three trials, v1.5.0-rc4-26-gcc46a74 with and without
> > > NO_MMAP against v1.4.4.4 on a freshly repacked git.git.

I probably should have mentioned, my run (in all cases) was:

	git rev-list HEAD -- Makefile 2>/dev/null

cheap, a file that exists pretty much everywhere, and that triggers
the path limiter in the revision walking code.

BTW, I discovered by accident tonight that this works:

	cp git-rev-list ../git-1444
	../git-1444 rev-list

which is so not something I would have expected.  :-) I honestly
expected the wrapper to puke and say it doesn't know what command
1444 is.

-- 
Shawn.