Subject: git-svn on a strangely configured (pathwise) subversion repository

From: AJ Rossini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:36:00 +0100

Greetings all -

(paths and names changed, but basically correct)

I'm trying to use git-svn as a svn client on a repository which is not quite 
configured in a standard way...  i.e. 

$ git svn fetch                                                                                                                 
RA layer request failed: PROPFIND request failed on '/path/to': PROPFIND 
of '/path/to': 403 Forbidden (https://dummy-host-name.com) 
at /usr/bin/git-svn line 2861

where as from my working svn copy (no problems from svn, of course, sigh...), 
I'm getting:

$ svn info                                                                                                                     
Path: .
URL: https://dummy-host-name.com/path/to/projects/project
Repository Root: https://dummy-host-name.com/path/to
Repository UUID: 97840717-62f2-0310-bead-daafb7b60902
Revision: 554
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: someone
Last Changed Rev: 514
Last Changed Date: 2007-01-25 14:20:44 +0100 (Thu, 25 Jan 2007)

The problem seems to be that the Repository Root directory is not readable, 
while the URL is (at least for me, using HTTPS).

This is using
$ git --version                                                                                                                
git version 1.4.4.4

(on debian unstable).

Here is what I'm considering: 
#1 - upgrading to the 1.5.0 RC series
#2 - trying Eric Wong's git-svn branch at http://git.bogomips.org/git-svn.git
#3 - getting a dump of the repository from the owner, loading it into a local 
svn server, and doing a local conversion...

With respect to #1/#2, I'm a bit cautious with upgrading to something not rock 
solid (let's just say that except for this, git 1.4.4.4 has been excellent 
for my needs...).

With respect to #3 - I'd prefer not to waste the admin's (personal) time if 
not necessary!

Does any one have any thoughts?   

best,
-tony

[email-masked]
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can 
easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).