Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-unbundle - unbundle objects and references for disconnected transfer.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:03:00 -0500

Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Many of my uses of this result in 10-20 objects being transferred, so 
> I'm not sure keeping each pack is a real benefit. In particular, one use 
> is for daily updates between two sites via email where we tend to have a 
> lot of extra objects in the packs as we assume that not every bundle 
> actually gets applied, while the number of real new objects tends to be 
> small. On the other hand, given the manual nature of this operation, we 
> could always just follow up with repack -a -d, possibly guarded by a git 
> count. Thoughts?

I don't really have an opinion here, as I'm fortunate enough that
I can use an SSH or an anonymous git connection between all of my
repositories, and thus don't really have a need for bundle/unbundle.

Its just one of those operations which I thought would not happen
often, and when it did, probably would be big.  In which case keeping
the packfile would make the unbundle run faster, as you don't need
to create a huge mess of loose objects.

-- 
Shawn.