Subject: Re: [PATCH] Attempt to improve git-rebase lead-in description.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 01:31:24 -0500

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > +
> > +The commits that were previously saved into the temporary area are
> > +then reapplied to the current branch, one by one, in order.
> 
> Which is true for git-format-patch/git-am --3way driven "git rebase",
> but not for git-merge driven "git rebase --merge".
> 
> The description is certainly more user-friendly, but I'd rather it avoid
> mentioning saving to temporary area.

[note: Jakub broke this thread and sent the message twice, once
 to me privately and again to the list.  I originally accidentally
 replied to Jakub's privately sent copy.]

Uhhh...  go read the source for `git-rebase -m`.  We still put the
commits into a temporary area (.git/.dotest-merge), except we store
just their SHA-1 and message rather than the patch.  Its still a
temporary area.

Even if we did not store the commits in a temporary area, they
still are conceptually, as the ODB is storing them, and they aren't
connected to a ref anymore, as the ref was reset.

My description is accurate, in either mode.

-- 
Shawn.