Subject: Google Summer of Code 2007

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:59:18 -0500

ShadeHawk and robinr brought up Google's Summer of Code on #git the
other day.  I had also been thinking about seeing if we cannot get
Git involved with SoC, so here goes... ;-)

The application deadline for organizations is March 12th.
The earliest that we can submit an application is March 5th, so we
still have time to kick ideas around and see if the community is
interested in participating in SoC.

Google's FAQ has a lot of details, but the important part which
lists what should be included in an application can be found here:

  http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60303&topic=10727

I don't know how the great SoC filter works for organizations,
but last year's list (found at http://code.google.com/soc/) has a
number of projects listed on it that are actively using Git for their
version control.  It would be nice if the SoC program was able to
benefit multiple projects in one shot, by helping to improve Git. :)

I'd be happy to help put the application together and to probably
also serve as a mentor, but I'm only willing to put in the effort
if others are genuinely interested and will also help out.

Thoughts?

-- 
Shawn.