Subject: Re: Error "fatal: cannot pread pack file: Success"

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:06:41 -0500

Bill Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:
> % strace -f -o tracefile git clone --bare ~/devel/project
> [...]
> fatal: cannot pread pack file: Success from=39395, packfile size=0
> [...]
> % grep pread tracefile
> 28635 pread(3,  <unfinished ...>
> 28635 <... pread resumed> "", 207, 39395) = 0
> 28635 write(2, "cannot pread pack file: Success "..., 59) = 59

Well, that answers that.  The packfile is 0 bytes long.  Why?
We downloaded the data and are trying to resolve deltas... but
when we go back into the packfile we thought we had, we find it is
nothing but an empty file.  NFS strikes again!

Have you been able to clone onto this drive before?  Maybe with a
different version of Git (1.4.x series, before this pread change
in index-pack)?  Clearly this operation should be working, but
its not, and I'm certainly at a loss for why the file would just
magically truncate itself.

-- 
Shawn.