Subject: Re: Error "fatal: cannot pread pack file: Success"

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:43:39 -0500

Bill Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yes: 1.4.x worked fine.  This was actually my attempt to re-do the 1.4
> clone I had laying around, as I wanted my backup done with 1.5.  I
> still have the 1.4 cloned repo, just moved it out of the way...

OK, is ~/devel/project fully packed?  If it isn't can you repack
it (or a clone of it) so that it is?

Then take the packfile and try to feed it right into index-pack:

	mkdir /austin/users/rael/repos/git/project-test
	cd /austin/users/rael/repos/git/project-test
	git --bare init
	git --bare index-pack --stdin --fix-thin \
	  <~/devel/project/.git/objects/pack/pack-*.pack

Now while that is running it should be creating pack_XXXXXX as a
temporary file (where XXXXXX is replaced with the temp string).
Its this file that we are seeing magically truncate to 0 in the
middle of running.

But I fail to see anything in index-pack that would cause this,
and its the only program that knows about this file at this stage
of the clone.

-- 
Shawn.