Subject: Re: Error "fatal: cannot pread pack file: Success"

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:58:24 -0500

Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > Bill Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > Yes: 1.4.x worked fine.  This was actually my attempt to re-do the 1.4
> > > clone I had laying around, as I wanted my backup done with 1.5.  I
> > > still have the 1.4 cloned repo, just moved it out of the way...
> > 
> > But I fail to see anything in index-pack that would cause this,
> > and its the only program that knows about this file at this stage
> > of the clone.
> 
> ... and Bill already said that the same clone operation, when not 
> performed on top of NFS, works fine.

Gah.  You're right.  And Bill also said the same clone works fine
on NFS, just so long as it is the Git 1.4.x series.  Which means
no pread/delta-resolving based index-pack.

Which leads me to believe something really horrible is happening in
the NFS server, like when we append to the packfile it truncates it.
Except during a clone we shouldn't append anything during the
delta resolution phase, as all delta bases should appear in that
one packfile.

Bill, are you sure someone isn't truncating your files on your NFS
server behind your back?  Is it an early April fool's joke from
a coworker?

-- 
Shawn.