Subject: Re: Memory overrun in http-push.c

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:40:33 +0000

On Thursday 2007 March 01 09:32, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> If you make it a requirement to send even an trivially obvious

I certainly wasn't suggesting that it should be a requirement.  I just thought 
there was a certain irony.  Perhaps even a lesson to be learned - find out 
why someone has chosen (even with git in front of them and deep enough inside 
to find bugs in it), not to use git.

I think there is a usability lesson to be pulled from this situation.  Why 
didn't Eygene just say:

 $ tar zxvf git-tarball.tgz
 $ cd git
 $ git init
 $ vim http-push.c
 $ git diff

Note, that was not an attack on Eygene - I genuinely am interested to know 
where we should put the documentation that tells a new user what they need to 
know quickly.

Somehow, git has failed this person.  I was simply wondering in what way.

However, Eygene's response made it sound like a situational thing - it was 
inconvenient to actually install git.  Fair enough.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]