Subject: Re: Memory overrun in http-push.c

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:54:55 -0500

Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Wont work. The ids in question are really strings embedded into object.
> Something like:
> 
>  $Id 1.2 user filename.c$
> 
> They can be found, extracted from the binary and sent to developer
> with a bug report. It's more of a build signature.
> IOW, the colleague in question has to have the source, which,
> I suspect, he wont.
> 
> Of course, it's very simple to embed the HEAD into build and
> tell the tester to send the SHA-1 in case of bug report.

Yes.  Either the commit SHA-1 or the output of git-describe does
the trick.  Even better when your program prints this value on
demand, like say `git version`.  ;-)

Before programmers got smart and wrote switches to dump the
version (aka -v/-V/--version) users were expected to use
`strings frob | grep '$Id' | mail [email-masked]` to
send in bug reports.  What a world we live in!  ;-)

-- 
Shawn.