Subject: Re: Memory overrun in http-push.c

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:42:57 +0000

On Friday 2007, March 02, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Andy Parkins wrote:
> > Here's another similar idea: generating copyright lines.  Let's say
> > we want to copyright every source file - that means writing "(C)
> > Junio, (C) Johannes, etc" at the top of every file.  Wouldn't it be
> > nicer if we could put $Copyright$ in the file, then have some
> > git-blame-like machinery fill in the copyrights automatically based
> > on who's made contributions?
>
> That's a horrible idea. A typo fix is not copyrightable. You'd add
> these. An obious fix is not copyrightable. You'd add these cases,
> too.

Well, I wasn't actually suggesting that as a final solution, it might be 
that it's done by more than just line count, and that some clever bit 
of machinery measures real contribution.  That wasn't really the point.

> Besides, IMHO adding copyright should be a _concious_ act.

Well, IMHO, the concious act was the commital of a change.

A lot of your objection to this seems to be "IMHO".  Fine: you don't 
like keywords, you wouldn't be /forced/ to use them.  I can see a use 
for them.  I'm having a lot of trouble understanding why they are seen 
as inherently evil.  Difficult to implement, I would accept, 
impractical to make work in git would be fine; but not this hand wavery 
that there is no conceivable use for them.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]