Subject: Re: GSoC project mentors

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 19:59:40 -0500

Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >Being a GSoC mentor does have a time commitment.  You will need to
> 
> This is a problem. How about IRC schedules? Say, if some idea
> has not enough mentorship, it may have at least supporters on
> IRC who _commit_ themselves to that schedule. In this case
> the students can at least know when they are likely to get help.

Committing oneself to being on IRC is a time commitment, isn't it?
:-)

IRC time is difficult for me; I do hang out there more often than
I used to now that the community is doing the same, but I spend
a good part of my week working from a network where IRC access
isn't allowed.

Anyway, people did step up (thanks Pasky, Dscho, Brian, Martin,
Martin!) and now most projects have more one mentor.  This is
exactly what I was hoping would happen.

-- 
Shawn.