Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Make gc a builtin.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:29:36 -0400

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
> 
> > On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 06:06:56PM -0400, James Bowes wrote:
> > > The following two patches make git-gc a builtin command.
> > 
> > What's the advantage in making git-gc a builtin command?
> 
> Portability. Plus, James wanted to get involved in Git development, and 
> building in gc really was the shortest path into that.

Actually, git-gc.sh is pretty portable.  To POSIX systems.
Windows ain't POSIX.  Getting rid of some of those shell scripts
just makes us more portable, even to Windows.  (Yes, people really
do still get forced to use that non-operating system.)

Ted talked about git-commit.sh being more important, but Dsco
clipped it. ;-)

I think git-commit.sh and git-merge.sh should both get ported to
builtins too, as both are somewhat hairy in shell, are quite core
to the system, and would be faster on Windows if written in C
(less forking == more speed there).

But they are so core that any rewrite must be undertaken carefully.

-- 
Shawn.