Subject: [PATCH] GIT_WORK_DIR: documentation for relative path

From: Matthias Lederhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:53:48 +0100

Signed-off-by: Matthias Lederhofer <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git.txt |   22 +++++++++++++---------
 1 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git.txt b/Documentation/git.txt
index d2f5d27..177adf5 100644
--- a/Documentation/git.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git.txt
@@ -83,11 +83,13 @@ OPTIONS
 	setting the GIT_DIR environment variable.
 
 --work-dir=<path>::
-	Set the path to the toplevel working directory.  The value will
-	be used only in combination with $GIT_DIR or '--git-dir'.
-	Without this option git will assume that the current directory
-	is also the toplevel directory.  This can also be controlled by
-	setting the GIT_WORK_DIR environment variable.
+	Set the path to the toplevel working directory.  If the path is
+	relative it is interpreted from $GIT_DIR, not the current
+	working directory.  The value will be used only in combination
+	with $GIT_DIR or '--git-dir'.  Without this option git will
+	assume that the current working directory is also the toplevel
+	directory.  This can also be controlled by setting the
+	GIT_WORK_DIR environment variable.
 
 --bare::
 	Same as --git-dir=`pwd`.
@@ -334,10 +336,12 @@ git so take care if using Cogito etc.
 	for the base of the repository.
 
 'GIT_WORK_DIR'::
-	Set the path to the toplevel working directory.  The value will
-	be used only in combination with $GIT_DIR or '--git-dir'.
-	Without this environment variable git will assume that the
-	current directory is also the toplevel directory.
+	Set the path to the toplevel working directory.  If the path is
+	relative it is interpreted from $GIT_DIR, not the current
+	working directory.  The value will be used only in combination
+	with $GIT_DIR or '--git-dir'.  Without this environment variable
+	git will assume that the current working directory is also the
+	toplevel directory.
 
 git Commits
 ~~~~~~~~~~~
-- 
1.5.0.3.1007.g7ff7