Subject: Re: [PATCH] hooks--update: new, required, config variable: hooks.envelopesender,

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:58:31 +0000

On Friday 2007 March 23 12:11, Jim Meyering wrote:
> This change adds a new, required, config variable: hooks.envelopesender,
> and use that with sendmail's -f option.  This is important in order
> to avoid relying on sendmail's "guess" at an appropriate envelope
> sender address.  Without this, and in the presence of strict servers,
> it is far too easy not ever to be notified, or (more insidious) never
> to receive bounce email.

Won't work.

>>From "man sendmail" (although my sendmail is actually exim)

"Set  the address of the sender of a locally-generated message. This option 
can normally be used only by root or the Exim user or by one of the con-              
figured trusted users. However, anyone may use it when testing a filter file 
with -bf or when testing or verifying addresses using the -bt  or  -bv
options.  In  other  cases, the sender of a local message is always set up as 
the user who ran the exim command, and -f is ignored, with one exception."

The hook scripts run under the identity of the user doing the push; so "-f" 
won't have an effect.

I'm not sure why you would even need it; as the above quote says, the sender 
is set up as the user who ran the command.

I've only tested this with exim; perhaps it's different for other mailers.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]