Subject: Re: Git / Subversion Interoperability

From: Christian Wiese <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:30:36 +0200

Hello,

> > - Branches.  In SVN these are in the repository wide namespace,
> > but in Git they aren't.  I imagine we'd want to just enforce the
> > standard layout that the SVN people recommened:
> >
> >  /trunk/    --> refs/heads/master
> >  /branches/ --> refs/heads/ (minus master)
> >  /tags/     --> refs/tags/
> 
> That would probably be good enough for the majority of 
> one-project-per-repo Subversion projects at least.  Though there is
> still the issue that Subversion will actually let you create a "tag"
> simply by committing whatever you currently have in your working copy
> (including localally modified files ... yeuch).

If the proposed solution just supports "one-project-per-repo"
Subversion projects then you won't attract much projects which are
currently using subversion. I don't know many svn repos of this kind.

What you should also consider, is that a project might have splitted a
project within a repo into smaller subprojects.
I'm currently facing this issue while trying to migrate from svn to git
within my local working environment to gather experience while working
with git to be able to effectively "sell" git to the other people of
our project and provide a smooth migration path for them.

Chris