Subject: Re: .gitlink for Summer of Code

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:48:31 +0100

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Matthieu Moy wrote:
>>
>>> Stupid question: why .gitlink, and not .git/link or so? This file is
>>> not versionned, I don't think it should be in the working tree.
>>
>> It would be special-cased, as is .git directory not versioned, the
>> same way .gitlink would be not versioned (not like .gitignore).
> 
> That's how I understand it, but why 2 special cases (.git and
> .gitlink) when you need one?

Well, in the first proposal we didn't though about idea of having
lightweight checkout .git/ directory (with .git/link, or core.link 
in .git/config) to have only parts of it, perhaps overriding main
files.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland