Subject: Re: Submodule object store

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:53:06 +0200

hoi :)

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:50:29PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> If you separate the odbs e.g by the pathname of the subproject, what
> happens if I choose to move the linux kernel in my embedded Linux
> project from /linux to /kernel/linux?

Then a new separate object database would have to be created.
This is the part I really don't like about separate object databases,
but perhaps some persistent alternates information could help here.

For any other way to separate the odb (project id, whatever), we
can't get a list of references into it by a path-limited traversal
in the parent. Thus separate odbs which are not bound to a special
location have some serious downsides.

> Or maybe worse:  If I currently track the Kernel in a tree (because of
> git lacking submodule support) and switch to submodule.  Then
> linux/Makefile has to exist in both the supermodule's and the
> submodule's odb.

Sorry, I don't understand you here.

-- 
Martin Waitz