Subject: Re: basics... when reading docs doesn't help

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:49:08 -0400

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 10:43:27PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:13:02AM +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > > Though actually on a second look, clone -l -s produces something that's
> > > only 377M.  I hadn't realized how much space the build output takes up.
> > > So judging from du the 1.5G Guennadi Liakhovetski mentions above seems
> > > to break down into something like:
> > > 
> > > 	330M .git
> > > 	380M working tree
> > > 	750M build output
> 
> Hmm.... That doesn't look right.  My packed .git directory is 156 megs
> (using post git 1.5 and repack.usedeltabaseoffset=true and
> core.legacyheaders=false).

I haven't run more than git-gc in a while, because I have local clones
and didn't want to figure out how to prune.  Hm, now that I've looked it
up:

git prune -- $(cd ../linux-clone/ && echo $(git-rev-parse --all))

just gets me the git-prune usage message.  In fact, contrary to the
prune man page, git-prune doesn't seem to accept any <head> arguments.
Isn't this a bug?  I'm on 1.5.0.3.31.ge47c.

--b.