Subject: Re: gitweb/test/Märchen has an identity crisis

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:18:20 -0400

Geert Bosch <[email-masked]> wrote:
> # On branch master
> # Changed but not updated:
> #   (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> #
> #       deleted:    gitweb/test/Märchen
> 
> Aaaarghh!! There seems something inconsistent in the encoding
> of the ä letter that confuses git on my Mac OS X system.
> My environment has LANG=en_US.UTF-8 set, in case that matters.

This has been discussed on the list in the past.  Mac OS X does a bad
thing here; it is normalizating the UTF-8 encoding in a different
way than Git supplied the encoding.  This is apparently done to
support its other bad feature, case insensitive filesystems.  ;-)

Basically what Git gave Mac OS X during an open() syscall is not
what it gets back during a readdir() because the filesystem changed
the byte sequence on us.  Yea, not cute.

I think I stuck the byte sequence Mac OS X is supplying into my
.git/info/exclude and the problem went away...

-- 
Shawn.