Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Sam Ravnborg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:31:42 +0200

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 04:14:01AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> Making git.git the first guinea pig has a unique bootstrapping
> problem involved, however.  These kind of changes in git.git
> itself has to wait at least until what we have in 'next' today
> is in everybody's hands.  Otherwise, people who want to use git
> for their real work need to first grab a tarball snapshot that
> has the plumbing subproject support, and then update to
> 'master', because we are still too fast moving for any distro
> binary packaged version to be satisfactory solution for people
> who want to have all the bells and whistles.  Also, I cannot
> have subproject in git.git until kernel.org starts running git
> with subproject support -- otherwise nobody can clone or pull
> from git.git X-<.

The bootstrapping issue could be fixed by having a separate
git-subproject.git on kernel.org.

But I see no easy solution for the requireent for kernel.org to
a new git (and I doubt kernel.org sysadmin is too keen to
update to a next-based git).

	Sam