Subject: Re: git-ls-files -m lists the same file multiple times

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:52:04 +0100

On Wednesday 2007, April 25, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Andy Parkins <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I did a merge, which had conflicts, and then fixed the conflicts. 
> > To see what files I'd changed I did git-ls-files -m.  This listed
> > the same file multiple times.  Some of them twice and some of them
> > three times.
> >
> > I guess that it's showing different stages; but as the list is just
> > filename, there is no way to tell which is which and it is just
> > confusing.
>
> I did not imagine that anybody actually found 'ls-files -m'
> useful, either during a conflicted merge or under the normal
> situation.  'git diff --stat' is usually much more pleasant to
> see.

Definitely.  You see I am in the strange position of being able to type 
faster than I can think, so typing

 git-ls-files -m | xargs git add

Saves me the trouble of engaging my brain :-)

> Use 'ls-files -u' during conflicted merge and be happy.

Great stuff - that's the one I wanted; in fact git-ls-files -m did what 
I wanted, because it didn't matter that xargs listed the same file 
multiple times.

Thanks

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]