Subject: git-fetch and unannotated tags

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:04:42 +0100

Hello,

I often use unannotated tags to mark particular revisions in a 
repository.  I use unannotated tags just as I would a bookmark.  
Annotated tags I reserve for information about a particular revision 
that I want to share with the world.  In essence I treat unannotated 
tags as private and annotated tags as public.

Unfortunately, git doesn't help me with this.  When I fetch from a 
repository that has unannotated tags, those tags are transferred.

Is there any way to stop this?  I'm fine with git doing automatic 
transfer of annotated tags, but not the unannotated.  The only way I 
can get around this is to use branches instead, that way whether they 
are transferred or not is completely under my control.

That makes me think that perhaps we should remove the special treatment 
of tags and treat them just like any other ref...

[remote "origin"]
  url = whatever
  fetch = refs/tags/*:refs/tags/*

However that still doesn't distinguish between annotated and 
unannotated.  Maybe two different glob tokens?

[remote "origin"]
  url = whatever
  fetch = refs/tags/?:refs/tags/?

Would mean annotated tags only...

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]