Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/7] gitweb: support filename prefix in git_patchset_body/git_difftree_body

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:55:22 +0200

On Sunday, 15 April 2007, Martin Koegler wrote:
> git_treediff supports comparing subdirectories. As the output of
> git-difftree is missing the path to the compared directories,
> the links in the output would be wrong.

You mean that git-diff-tree output for diff between two non-toplevel
trees lacks the path to compared tree, e.g.
  $ git diff-tree <commit1>:<path1> <commit2>:<path2>
lacks <path1> prefix in the from part, and <path2> prefix in to part,
and the goal is to add those missing prefixes in the links, without
changing the visible output of git_patchset_body/git_difftree_body.
 
> The patch adds two new parameters to add the missing path prefix.

...and makes use of them while generating links.

Although I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to put e.g.
$prefix_from.$diff{'file'} in $diff{'file_from_url'} or something
like that.

> Signed-off-by: Martin Koegler <[email-masked]>
> ---
> I renamed the parameters to to/from_prefix.
> 
> Modifying the file name in $diff would require bigger changes
> and cause new problems: 
> * new output rewriter for plain view needed
> * for modified files only one file name, but possibly two prefixes

Looks nice, although I think this patch is needed only when we have
"treediff" (and "treediff_plain") views, i.e. when we are able to
compare not only top level trees (like in "commitdiff" view),
or individual files (in "blobdiff" view), but also arbitrary trees.

It can be usefull to compare for example git-gui/ directory in git.git
mainline branch with the root directory from git://repo.or.cz/git-gui
or gitweb/ directory after including gitweb in git repository with the
gitweb.git commits. Although not that useful in first example: there is
as far as I know no development of git-gui directly in git.git
repository so the only difference is that in mainline git-gui stuff
resides in git-gui/ and in git://repo.or.cz/git-gui in top directory

-- 
Jakub Narebski
ShadeHawk on #git
Poland