Subject: Re: What's in git.git (stable)

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:03:31 +0100

On Friday 2007, April 27, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I'm personally really really sure. The whole point of subprojects (at

Fair enough.  I just hadn't seen very much talk about this issue and 
wanted to make sure.

> trouble with the new feature: at a minimum, git-fsck would always
> complain about the invalid mode (and things like "git diff" would too
> - I think it used to just die on unknown modes).

That kind of settles it really - if neither implementation would have 
worked with non-submodule git then the decision must come down to which 
is technically better - and I'm persuaded that the extra layer of 
indirection doesn't actually gain anything other than some extra 
objects to track.

>  - with 1.5.2, git will be good enough to _serve_ stuff, even if it
> might not be very usable for the client-side operations. So

>>From my point of view, I don't really mind manually fetching the 
submodules.  I very much appreciate that I don't _have_ to have the 
submodules for the superproject to continue to work.

I was actually surprised how little I'm finding I need submodule support 
in the porcelain.  The only slight problem at the moment is with 
git-checkout; switching from a branch with the supermodule to a branch 
without it and back needs a bit of hoop jumping, but nothing too 
painful.  All in all - success all over.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]