Subject: Re: Git benchmarks at OpenOffice.org wiki

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 09:55:02 +0100

On Tuesday 2007 May 01, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> In 'Size of data on the server' git has CVS beat hands down: 1.3G vs
> 8.5G for sources, 591M vs 1.1G for third party. I think it is similar
> for Subversion. I hope that repository is fully packed: IIRC the Mozilla
> CVS repository import was about 0.6GB pack file, not 1.3GB.

I'm fairly sure it's not.  If so that would also affect the speed of 
operations wouldn't it?

I also doubt the subversion checkout size - subversion keeps a pristine copy 
of the HEAD file - so a subversion checkout is usually over twice the size of 
the source tree.

> takes 3min (!) according to the benchmark. 13-25sec for commit is also
> bit long

I wonder if they are measuring the time for the generation of the commit 
message or something?  Or perhaps by using "git-commit -a" is causing a check 
of the whole tree for changed files?

> Comparison / benchmark lacks some crucial info, like what computer was
> used (CPU, RAM, HDD), what filesystem was used, git version etc. It
> does have commands used for tests (benchmarks).

I'd also like to see some of the numbers for the other systems, I tried to use 
subversion with the linux kernel once and got fed up waiting for it to do 
anything.  I suspect the reason numbers aren't shown for the others is that 
they haven't finished yet :-)

> Could you confirm (or deny) those results? go-oo.org uses git 1.4.3.4;
> was there some improvement or bugfix related to the speed of checkout?

Wasn't there a recent change that made repacking after a clone unnecessary?  
That would certainly reduce the checkout size.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]