Subject: Re: Git benchmarks at OpenOffice.org wiki

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 16:33:11 +0100

On Wednesday 2007 May 02, Jan Holesovsky wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't have the _exact_ numbers here any more so I cannot
> prove it ;-) - but this is a rounding problem [CVS checkout is slightly
> more than 1.4G].  Similarly, overhead of of CVS directories is 0 when we
> count in gigabytes.

0.1G would have been an awfully big rounding error.  Regardless, Julian has 
put me right on that - the git checked out size was actually 2.7GB - this 
then lines up with the CVS figures.

> > - SVN checkout overhead is always _at least_ the size of the source tree
> > because it keeps a pristine copy of HEAD.  If the source tree is 1.5G,
> > then this figure should be at least 3G.
>
> Yes, this surprises me as well.  I've heard about some improvements in the
> recent SVN, but 0.1M sounds very small.

Very much so - I've tried with a 1.4.2 and my own small repository and the 
pristine copies are stored uncompressed as always.  0.1G now sounds plain 
wrong.  Maybe there are some switches I should be using to svn checkout.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]